Inventing What’s Next in Biometric Sensor Systems for Wearable Technology
Quite simply the most accurate biometric sensors for wearable technology available today.
- Proven innovation with dozens of foundational patents granted and 70+ patents pending
- Continuously measures heart rate, VO2, energy expenditure, cadence and R-R interval, and much more
- Active Signal Characterization technology enables highly accurate biometrics in wearable devices even during vigorous activity
- Sensor tech integrates seamlessly into any wearable device
- Perfect for use in sports/fitness, personal health, military/first responder, and gaming use cases
Whole > Sum of the parts
Many people think you can achieve accurate biometric wearables by piecing together some LED’s, some firmware, some algorithms, and calling it a heart rate monitor. It’s not that simple.
Valencell has learned over many years of R&D, trial & error, and product development that the systems approach is most effective. Everything must be designed and developed to work together from the start – the optomechnanics, the firmware, the algorithms, and the testing & validation processes.
- You can have the best optomechanics in the world, but if your algorithms are not optimized for that signal, it won’t work.
- Likewise, you can have the best algorithms in the world, but if you have a poor signal coming from the sensor, it won’t work.
- Finally, even if you get the hardware and the software working together, you have to test and validate that it works on people of all shapes, sizes, colors, genders, and fitness levels.
Scalable to multiple form-factors such as earbuds, smartwatches, armbands and wrist devices.
Valencell’s technology can be used in wearables and hearables for virtually anyone, anywhere, doing anything.
PerformTek® biometric sensor technology is the only continuous heart rate monitoring technology proven accurate during virtually any exercise and in virtually any environment. Read more about our testing methods here.
We’ve been innovating in optical biometric technology for 10 years, before wearables even existed. Our levels of accuracy are proven by independent scientific validation and by users of Valencell-powered products every day.
Optical Heart Rate Sensor Design
Our sensor technology gives wearable devices the ability to continuously and accurately measure weak blood flow signals even during extreme physical activity. PerformTek achieves this with a state-of-the-art, ultra-miniaturized optomechanical sensor module small enough to fit within an audio earbud, smartwatch, or other wearable device. The sensor module includes an optical emitter, an optical detector, specialized optomechanics and an accelerometer.
How it Works
HOW VALENCELL IS DIFFERENT
Photoplethysmography (PPG) is not new. It’s been used for decades to measure blood flow changes and translate these changes to pulse rate. Until now, products using PPG have been too large and uncomfortable for consumer use and have not been effective at measuring blood flow during exercise or outdoors. Our patented PerformTek biometric technology has solved many of these problems.
Like the traditional PPG approach, PerformTek sensor technology measures weak blood flow signals by shining light at the skin with an optical emitter and sensing the scattered light with a photodetector. The key differences are Valencell’s patented optomechanics and signal extraction methodologies, which employ active signal characterization to actively remove optical signals associated with motion artifacts (such as skin motion and footsteps) and environmental exposure (such as sunlight) from the photodetector.
API for Apps
Valencell’s accurate biometric signal extraction method is coded in firmware on a digital signal processing chip (DSP chip). Application developers can communicate with this DSP chip through the PerformTek API, which allows app developers to access this data and make virtually any health or fitness application their minds can dream up.